Whistler BC Ice fishing report and Update
Whistler BC Ice fishing report and Update
It’s been a while since we’ve had a post so I should have lots to talk about. This has been a fantastic year for Ice fishing in Whistler, BC. We have been seeing colder than average temperatures this year and a lot more snow. The colder temperatures have built very thick Ice on all the lakes surrounding Whistler. For example; Lost Lake has roughly 20″ of Ice compared to the 12″ it received last year. A little North of Whistler, Blackwater Lake is a full auger shaft in thickness and the fishing has picked up as of late. One thing we are happy to announce is that the size of fish has began to pick up as well. We are starting to see Trout 20″ + a lot more regularly. With the crazy cold snap that we have had over the past month, the lakes have been making lots of noise while the ice thickens and settles. This had the large fish very spooky, I witnessed this first hand while jigging numerous times. Large fish would come into view under our ice hole, start sniffing the bait, ice would make noise and the fish would vanish. This was very frustrating!
Lakes worth checking out in Whistler BC for Ice fishing
Lakes worth checking out in Whistler BC for Ice fishing. Although I am not going to name them all, I will name a few worth checking out while visiting Whistler to ice fish. Always make sure that you know the fishing regulations and have a valid freshwater fishing license before heading out ice fishing. Lakes in the Whistler area are regularly visited by our conservation officers. Lakes Worth checking are as follows;
Ice fishing lakes in Whistler BC
- Lucille Lake – This little hidden gem is a brook trout heaven. Brook trout range in size from 10″ – 18″ and weigh as much as 2 LBS. Most of the Brook Trout will be on the smaller end of the scale but they are plentiful.
- Lost Lake – This is a go to lake for fishing in Whistler both during Winter and Summer. If you are visiting Lost lake during the Winter, please be courteous of the x-country ski and snowshoeing trails. Our guides visit this lake regularly so please keep the interest of our clients in mind. Rainbow Trout in Lost lake range in size from 12″ – 20″ and can weigh as much as 3 LBS. Bring your camera, there is a sweet view of Blackcomb and Whistler mountains from the lake.
- Nita Lake – Lots of smaller Rainbow Trout in this lake. One of our guides did pull a 20″+ Rainbow Trout from this lake this Summer. This is a great lake to learn how to Ice fish at. Parking is not an issue here and the lake has a great trail network.
- Alpha Lakes – Little is known about these lakes but I have heard of giant Cutthroat Trout being caught here 😉
- Showh Lakes – If you have a snowmobile and are adventurous check out this hidden honey hole. There are lots of large Cutthroat Trout in these lakes. Their remoteness keeps the fishing very good, definitely worth the venture in.
How to catch Fish While Ice Fishing in Whistler BC Canada
Simple, if you are having trouble catching fish while Ice fishing in Whistler and Surrounding areas stop by Spud Valley Sporting Goods Ltd in Pemberton, BC at 1380 Birch Street. Lets just say they are well equipped in all your ice fishing needs for the entire Province of British Columbia and the World. If they don’t have it, you don’t need it. First off you will need an Ice fishing rod. Put line with a breaking strength between 4 – 8 Lbs. Most of our ice fishing rods are spooled with 6 LB test. Buy a variety of lures which should include jigs and spoons, my favorites are the Fish Talk Zapper and the fireball Jig. Both are available at Spud. You will need a chair, for this I will suggest a 5 gallon bucket. A 5 gallon bucket will act as both a seat and a way to transport your ice fishing equipment to and from the lake. Buy an auger or Ice drill, you are going to need it. Chopping through 24″ of ice is not fun at all and is very dangerous.
Ice fishing equipment
Compliment your 5 gallon bucket with an ice scoop, cushion and ice spikes. Ice spikes are a safety device that is used to pull you from the water if you were to ever fall in, safety first. I would have to say Bait is one of the most important thing for Ice fishing. Recently we have started selling bait that we use on our tours, hense the name Fish Finder Shrimp. Clients at the end of our tours would always try there best to buy what was left over. You don’t have to worry about that anymore, now available at Spud Valley Sporting Goods ltd in 3 fish catching proven colors. Fish Finder UV Red, Fish Finder UV Pink and Fish Finder UV Chartreuse. We are not going to share the recipe but we will assure you that it works very well. Below is a picture of our Fish Finder UV bait under a UV light.
Get introduced to Ice fishing with the Pro’s from Pemberton Fish Finder
Now that the harsh cold is behind us in the Whistler area, give Ice fishing a go. We have just over a month of ice fishing left this year don’t miss out. Ice fishing is a great Winter sport enjoyed by Families and Friends, your kids will love it. The big fish are biting and it is a real battle with a 20″ fishing rod. This is one of those instances that the size of your rod does not matter. Call our booking agent today toll free 1(877)905-8121 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Visit our website for rates and more information about Ice fishing in Whistler, BC.
We look forward to ice fishing with you,
Pemberton Fish Finder. https://pembertonfishfinder.com/
Whistler offers some of the best Ice fishing and Scenery in British Columbia, Canada.
Below are a few pictures from the past week of Ice Fishing in Whistler with the Pemberton Fish Finder.
Whistler BC Ice fishing report and Update.